One of my aims is to bring the Alexander Technique to a wider audience and writing about it is one way of doing this. My publications to date include (click on link to read the article):
Peer-reviewed publications in academic journals
- An education for life: The process of learning the Alexander Technique. Woods C, Glover L, Woodman J. Kinesiology Review 2020;9:190–198. doi.org/10.1123/kr.2020-0020.
- Self-efficacy and embodiment associated with Alexander Technique lessons or with acupuncture sessions: A longitudinal qualitative sub-study within the ATLAS trial. Wenham A, Atkin K, Woodman J, Ballard K, MacPherson H. Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice 2018;31:308–14.
- Self-efficacy and self-care-related outcomes following Alexander Technique lessons for people with chronic neck pain in the ATLAS randomised, controlled trial. Woodman J, Ballard K, Hewitt C, MacPherson H. European Journal of Integrative Medicine 2018;17:64–71.
- An economic evaluation of Alexander Technique lessons or acupuncture sessions for patients with chronic neck pain: a randomized trial (ATLAS). Multiple authors with lead author, Holly Essex. PLOS One 2017;12:e0178918. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0178918.
- Alexander Technique lessons or acupuncture sessions for persons with chronic neck pain: A randomized trial. MacPherson H, Tilbrook H, Richmond S, Woodman J, Ballard K, et al. Annals of Internal Medicine 2015;163:653–62.
- Teachers of the Alexander Technique in the UK and the people who take their lessons: A national cross-sectional survey. Eldred J, Hopton A, Donnison E, Woodman J, MacPherson H. Complementary Therapies in Medicine 2015;23:451–461.
- Alexander Technique Lessons, Acupuncture Sessions or usual care for patients with chronic neck pain (ATLAS): study protocol for a randomised controlled trial. Multiple authors with lead author, Hugh MacPherson. Trials 2013;14:209.
- Evidence for the effectiveness of Alexander Technique lessons in medical and health-related conditions: a systematic review. Woodman J and Moore N. International Journal of Clinical Practice 2012;66:98–112.
Peer reviewed book chapters and conference presentations
- Embodying mindfulness through the Alexander Technique. Invited presentation at the Conference, Psychological and Emotional Health: Living with EDS/HSD, Ehlers-Danlos Society, Edinburgh, UK, 2 November 2019.
- Effectiveness of Alexander Technique lessons for people with musculoskeletal conditions (updated review). Co-authored with Kathleen Ballard and Lesley Glover. Poster presentation at the 2018 Alexander Technique Congress, Chicago, USA, 29 July–4 August.
- Effectiveness of Alexander Technique lessons for people with musculoskeletal conditions. Co-authored with Kathleen Ballard and Lesley Glover. Poster presentation at the Society for Back Pain Research annual conference, 3–4 November 2016, Preston. Published in: Bone & Joint Journal Orthopaedic Proceedings 2017; 99-B (Suppl 10):7.
- Alexander Technique lessons as a healthcare intervention. In: Connected Perspectives – The Alexander Technique in context. pp 12-37. Editors: Claire Rennie, Tanya Shoop and Kamal Thapen. Hite Books and Publishing. 2015. ISBN 978-0-95689-974 3.
- Alexander Technique. Co-authored with Jane Saunderson. In: The Sage encyclopedia of theory in counseling and psychotherapy. pp 39-43. Editor: Edward S. Neukrug. Sage Publications. May 2015. ISBN 9781452274126.
Publications for a general audience
- Monthly blog post
- Is your daily commute driving you to despair? TalkBack quarterly magazine of BackCare. Autumn 2016 Issue; 14–15 (reproduced with kind permission).
- How the Alexander Technique can help you avoid ‘text neck’. TalkBack quarterly magazine of BackCare. Summer 2016 Issue; 20–21 (or click here for PDF; reproduced with kind permission).
- New hope for people who suffer from neck pain (PDF format). Co-authored with Kathleen Ballard and Hugh MacPherson. TalkBack quarterly magazine of BackCare 2015; Issue 4: 20–22. Reproduced with kind permission.
- STAT Research Group Panel: After ATEAM, ATLAS and other adventures in Alexander research. Co-authored. Proceedings of the 10th International Alexander Technique Congress, Limerick, Ireland 2015.
- How effective is the Alexander Technique? Relay (PDF format), The Journal of the Neuropathy Trust. Spring 2013; Issue 45: 12–15. Reproduced with kind permission.
Please note that this section includes links to PDF documents that require Adobe Acrobat Reader.